The Bottom Line
- Made of the same rugged plastics as adult suitcases.
- Pull cord is easy for children or adults to use.
- Light enough for toddlers to manage.
- Soft rim helps prevent pinched fingers.
- Wheels allow children to ride on the suitcase when they are tired.
- No outside pockets - must open up the whole thing to access contents.
- Small size means you may not be able to pack as much.
- Should not be used as checked baggage.
- Rolling suitcase for children.
- Doubles as a ride-on toy when children get tired.
- Approximate dimensions 18"x7.9"x12". 5 gallon capacity. Weighs 3.8 lbs.
- Recommended for children ages 3-6.
- Costs $30-$40.
- Available in pink or blue.
Guide Review - Trunki Suitcase Review
One of the things I've found about children's luggage is that it is usually poorly made, too big for little children to manage or prohibitively expensive. Trunki answers all of those complaints quite well. The sturdy suitcase is made with the same durable materials as adult suitcases, so it's built to last. Trunki is recommended for carry-on luggage only, though, so it's not a suitcase you'd want to send as checked baggage. The size is perfect for young children. Trunki measures about 18x8x12 inches, and weighs less than 4 pounds when empty. The suitcases are available in pink or blue and have little "horns" for handles on the front. Trunki sells for $30-$40.
The pull strap is easy to use and the wheels roll smoothly on tile and low-pile carpets. More than one child can actually ride on Trunki, too. The company says the suitcases can hold over 100 lbs. when used as a ride-on!
One of Trunki's biggest downfalls as carry-on baggage is that there are no outside pockets or compartments to keep items that need to be grabbed quickly. You have to open the whole suitcase to get to the contents.
Despite the drawbacks, having a suitcase that your young child can manage is a big plus for Trunki. The ability to let your child ride the suitcase may make your airline travel much easier, and certainly more fun for the child.