What does a baby really need in the first weeks at home? The answer is - not much. This baby needs checklist will help you choose those basic baby items, often called the layette, that your little one needs to have in the first precious weeks of life.
Clothing and Layette
- 5-8 Onesies®, rompers, or other soft outfits, depending on how often you want to do laundry
- 3-4 baby sleepers or sleep sacks
- 5-7 pairs of baby socks
- 1-2 newborn hats, depending on climate
Diapers and Bath Items
- 2 packs of disposable diapers or enough cloth diapers for at least two days. Newborns can go through 10 to 12 diapers a day!
- 1 pack of disposable wipes or 12 cloth wipes
- Waterproof pad for diaper changes
- 3-5 baby washcloths
- 1-2 hooded towels, if desired. Adult towels will work, too.
- 1 bottle of gentle baby wash
- Baby nail clippers
- Digital thermometer
Bedding and Feeding
- 3-4 fitted sheets for crib, cradle, cosleeping bassinet or traditional bassinet
- 3-5 lightweight blankets or swaddlers
- 1-2 heavier blankets, depending on climate
- 10 burp cloths
- 5-8 bottles, if you're bottle feeding
- Breastfeeding pillow, if desired
Gear and Furniture
That's it! While there are many baby products on the market that make a parent's life easier, most are wants, not needs. While it may be tempting to buy every gadget on the shelf, remember, your baby will be just as happy with the basic items that he or she really needs.