1. Parenting
Heather Corley

Simplicity Crib Recall

By April 29, 2010

2010, CPSC.gov.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recently announced a new recall of Simplicity baby cribs. These Simplicity cribs are recalled because the metal mattress support frame can bend or detach, allowing the mattress to collapse. When a mattress collapses, it can create a space where a baby or toddler can be trapped or fall out of the crib.

A one-year-old child suffocated when he was entrapped by the collapsed mattress in a Simplicity crib. CPSC is aware of 13 additional incidents where the mattress support frame collapsed or detached.

The Simplicity crib models below are included in the recall. You can find additional pictures of the cribs at CPSC's Simplicity crib recall page.

Crib Name Model Number
Aspen 4-in-1 8755
Chelsea Deluxe 4-in-1 Convertible Sleep System 8324
Graco 4-in-1 Ultra Sleep System 4600
Graco Aspen 3-in-1 8740
Simplicity Crib and Changer Combo 8994
Simplicity Ellis Deluxe 4-in-1 Convertible Sleep System 8676
Simplicity Nursery-in-a-Box Convertible Crib 8910

This recall will be carried out by retailers since the manufacturer is no longer in business. These cribs were sold at Walmart, Target and Babies R Us stores. You should contact the store where you purchased the crib to receive a refund, store credit or replacement crib.

Do not attempt to fix a recalled Simplicity crib. Please find a safe, alternative sleeping location for your baby until the crib can be replaced. It's important to note, as well, that all Simplicity drop-side cribs are already under recall due to a problem with the drop-side.

Comments
May 1, 2010 at 12:34 pm
(1) Katy says:

Our crib was a part of this recall so I called Baby’s R Us to get a replacement and the only thing they could offer us was a $69 store credit! We paid over $400 and they couldn’t even give us a replacement. Their only solution was for us to purchase another crib at our expence then if corporate was able to resolve the credit amount we could come back in and get a refund. I ended up taking our crib to another retailer who gave us a $250 store credit with no questions asked. Baby’s R Us has lost my business for ever.

May 3, 2010 at 2:17 am
(2) Jeff Leitner says:

What other retailer did you take it too? We are in the same predicament

May 4, 2010 at 2:13 pm
(3) Jamie says:

We are in the same boat. We paid $399 and they were willing to give us $50.00. This was through Albeebaby.com.

June 28, 2010 at 8:06 pm
(4) Renee says:

I did not have one of the models listed above, mine was an Aspen 4-in-1 model #8745 which was recalled for the drop-side. I took it back to Walmart and received the full price, plus tax, that my sister paid over 4 years ago as a store credit (gift card of $138.50). You might go to Walmart’s customer service with the manual and model number and see if they sold it and how much you can get for it.

July 21, 2010 at 3:43 pm
(5) Amanda says:

We threw the crib out after the drop side recall…I just didn’t want to deal with it. I called Wal-Mart and they won’t give me my money back with out bringing the whole thing in. UGH. Any suggestions?

July 29, 2010 at 7:16 pm
(6) Liliana says:

I bought the crib and changer combo (model # 8994) 4 years ago at walmart for $100 and yesterday that i took it back to walmart they gave me 192.00 dollars no questions asked not even for an ID!! im really happy!!

August 2, 2010 at 1:23 pm
(7) Emily says:

I called Babies R Us and they will credit me back $230+Tax for my crib.

August 14, 2010 at 1:37 am
(8) josette says:

I returned mine today to Target and got a full refund.

September 1, 2010 at 7:12 pm
(9) maribel says:

do i have to bring the crib back ?

September 30, 2010 at 2:41 pm
(10) tb9907 says:

how much did target refund for your crib josette??

October 1, 2010 at 2:36 pm
(11) Theresa says:

I called Target they said they’ve never heard of this recall. Then I called Walmart and they said well we would have to see what shape it’s in before we determined how much you would get for it… I’m not wanting to trade it in people… I want a safe place for my child to sleep… suggestions…comments would be greatly appreciated.

October 1, 2010 at 2:55 pm
(12) Heather says:

Theresa, I’m sorry the stores are giving you a hard time with your crib. I would try printing out the CPSC page on this recall and taking it to the store directly. At Target, if the customer service person doesn’t know what to do, ask for a manager. If the manager is unable to help, start calling Target corporate customer service or find out who the regional managers are.

If it’s Walmart, remind them that the reason for the recall is that the cribs were not sturdy and could break in a way that was deadly to babies. Obviously, such a crib may not be in brand new condition. That doesn’t change its status as a recalled crib.

If neither of those stores is able to get you an exchange, refund or store credit that will allow you to get a new crib for your baby, contact the CPSC via their website. There’s a link right at the bottom of the page I suggested that you print out. Let them know that the stores are not handling the recall as promised.

Good luck.

October 2, 2010 at 10:42 am
(13) Ski says:

I have no idea why retailers would be asked or required to pick up the tab just because the original manufacturer is out of business.. seems wrong to me.

October 3, 2010 at 1:52 pm
(14) THERESA says:

I took mine back to Target and the lady got on the phone and typed in a few numbers into the cash register and then gave me a gift card for $152.24… $139.99 for the crib and then tax.. Went back to pick one out and they only had 1 for that price. It wasn’t like the one we had.. Aspen 4 in 1 but I didn’t want to pay extra… So I bought a delta crib. This one only goes from a crib to a toddler bed. Oh well I guess… at least they did something for me so my child can have a safe place to sleep.. Good luck to everyone trying to take theirs back.

October 18, 2010 at 7:05 am
(15) Angela says:

Ski, retailers have to take it back as they are to stand behind the products they sell. It’s the law. Unfortunately we have just moved to England, with our crib, mattress and bedding. Obviously we cannot bring it back to the US. We are out not only a crib but all the bedding as they are a different size here. The scary thing is, with so many recalls, what can you buy and be sure your kids are safe??

October 31, 2010 at 2:08 am
(16) Stephanie says:

Hi ladies I was wondering, when you take it back do you have to have all the paperwork, recite, box, ect….? Thanks for your help.

November 9, 2010 at 8:10 pm
(17) Ann says:

Stephanie, I recently returned mine within the past 2 weeks. I was in the same boat as Theresa, and I mean literally. Although, i tried Babies R Us and the manager stated that the no longer honor the recalls as of May 2010. I tried Walmart, and they had the same date of May and another date of Sept 1. I guess it depended upon what model you have. I too, had the Aspen 4 in 1.The last resort was Target. I didn’t have any receipts, all they needed was an I.D. and of course all of the crib parts, and I mean everything(including the trundle drawer)! At first I think they were a a little reluctant, as they were asking for the box.. okay come on? who is still going to have a box for a crib dah? Anyways, I received a gift card of the lowest price of the same crib at the time they were selling. So, try them all and see what happens, as every case is different. But if all else fails, try Target. They were very cooperative. Good Luck!

November 15, 2010 at 12:58 pm
(18) Neil says:

Returned 2 today after just learning about the recall….both cribs had been bought 4 years or so ago and Wal-mart honored the retail prices of 179.67 per crib+ tax…CASH Very happy…

Step 1 call walmart consumer help 1-800-walmart

Step 2 verify your model number and get a price with the representative

Step 3 ask for the store managers name from this rep.

Step 4 call the store manager reference the 1-800 rep’s name and state that a cash refund was promised and ask for directions on how to return to the store location.

Step 5 stick to your guns about a cash refund….

Good luck everyone!

December 9, 2010 at 9:06 am
(19) Ashley says:

I have two daughter Hannah 4 years old and Farrah is 11 months. I brought a bed from walmart about 4 1/2 years ago. My daughter loved it , we even used it as a sleigh bed and toddler bed. When I had Farrah we clean it up and paint it, like new. However when she was 9 month we find out her forearm was broke. Yes, it was from the bed. My mom told me to look it up and find out is it a recall on it and it was. We took it to walmart and they gave us the full value with no problems $219.00. I’m still gonna file a claim, because I was very hurt to find out my baby arm was broke.

December 22, 2010 at 11:40 am
(20) Jay says:

I am an attorney and represent the family of the one year old who tragically died in the Simplicty Ellis 4 in 1 model. His is the death mentioned in the recall notice. I am presently in need of an exemplar Ellis model crib for testing purposes. Please help get these cribs off the market and out of homes! If anyone has an Ellis crib please contact me at YJB56@aol.com and I will purchase the crib from you for testing purposes. Thank you!

December 29, 2010 at 7:28 am
(21) TL says:

Took my crib to my local Walmart. The recall “expert” said that I had to contact the manufacturer. I told her that the company was out of business and that Walmart is supposed to be handling the recall. I had called 1-800 Walmart earlier in the day and told the “expert” that the crib was on the recall list and that the rep told me to bring in the crib. The “expert” then said that they only do recalls for 3 months after you buy the item. Huh??? Since I had bought the crib a few years ago, my 3 months were already up and they would not take the crib back. I stuck to my guns and said that 1-800 Walmart had confirmed the recall and told me to bring the crib in. In the end, the assistant manager called 1-800 Walmart and 30 minutes later, I had a gift card. Thank goodness I had called 1-800 Walmart beforehand. If not, I think I would have been turned away.

January 11, 2011 at 4:41 pm
(22) Jesa says:

We had the Simplicty crib n changer combo that was sitting in the storage because my 3yr old daughter doesnt use it anymore. But when I learned that it was recall I took the crib to local walmart and got a store credit $179.67 plus tax.

January 18, 2011 at 5:43 pm
(23) Athina says:

I have the Simplicity model 8994 and I bought it three years ago this coming March when I had my daughter. I bought it up on the military base in Alaska where we were stationed for $250, called the walmart here in California where we’re currently stationed and they said bring it in, no receipt necessary and it might be a good idea to have a copy of the recall list with the model number on it. I’ve found my crib on two different recall lists, one for the drop side and this one as well. If you’re on a military base with a BX/PX they have to honor it as well, or the local walmart store will.

January 25, 2011 at 7:35 pm
(24) Amber says:

I have been calling and emailing Kohl’s for 7 months regarding my recalled crib. It has been a nightmare and a joke. I have been promised several different things, including a a returned call/email, a pickup, and even a refund. None of it has happened. I am disgusted with Kohl’s and about at the end of my rope. Needless to say, I won’t purchase anything from Kohls.com again.

January 25, 2011 at 9:49 pm
(25) Sharon says:

We just found out about the recall today. I believe we have the Ellis model. I tried to e-mail the lawyer looking for the crib but it would not go through

January 30, 2011 at 3:06 pm
(26) Desiree says:

i found out my sons crib set from 4 years ago was on the list … luckily BC i am currently pregnant with my daughter and was going to re- use it. i called 1-800- walmart and confirmed the amount i was to receive back from wal*mart before going to store. They had me print out my copy of the order form and a copy of recall info. brought all pieces back and i was given the full refund of 302.35 back in cash. that included the shipping cost! Stick to your guns and talk with a manager and make sure you call 1800 walmart and let them know you got a price and you shouldn’t have any problems!! Good luck

February 10, 2011 at 2:24 pm
(27) vanessa says:

Hi I just found out about this cribs and I have one for abou 3 years for my 3 year old daughter everything is working fine but I don’t want to risk it. I called to all my local walmarts and they said if it wasn’t purchesed with them I could not take it I got it off of fingerhut. But I called to a target and they gave there 1800 number to si if they had it in there list even if you didn’t buy it there its the christina crib n changer combo there refund for 219.99. So call thisb number 1-800-304-4075 see they can help youb out.

Good Luck

February 10, 2011 at 2:25 pm
(28) vanessa says:

Call this number 18003044075

February 17, 2011 at 7:24 am
(29) sonya says:

my mom purchased for my daughter in 2008 the simplicity nursery in a box (crib, chest, and changing table). I used it until she was 1 1/2 put it in storage and noticed that the changing table was starting to breake so i threw it away. I recently started using them again for my son when he was born! Then yesterday I learned that the crib had been recalled so i tried to take it back to walmart. were thaat it was a nursery in a box they have to have all the pieces. what am i to do now i dont have the changing table!!! need help please!

February 19, 2011 at 4:16 pm
(30) kate says:

i called target customer service today. they said bring the crib to the store and call them back and they will issue a $249.00 merch credit. I have the simplicity ellis crib purchased in 2006 as baby gift. you dont need a reciept but bring your DL. This will also not count as a return without a reciept. so glad i looked. i was going to sell this crib but glad i didn’t because i think it is unlawful to sell a recalled item.

February 21, 2011 at 4:29 pm
(31) Ryan says:

I bought 2 of these cribs for my twins back in 2008. I got them at Burlington Coat Factorys Baby Depot. Has anyone else bought theirs from there, and if so can you let me know how it went for you? Im currently trying to get it resolved, and have had no luck yet.. Very frustrating!!

February 26, 2011 at 3:20 pm
(32) Mario V says:

I got an Ellis 4 in 1 from Burlington 3 years ago. I live in Mexico now, anyone have a similar case ? how to turn it back , how about shipping charges

March 5, 2011 at 1:12 am
(33) Ashley says:

Sonya-
I also had the simplicity bed in a box! I was wondering about the same thing because I threw away the changing table also. I called Wal-Mart and they game me the full refund and I only had to bring in the crib. I brought the crib set in 2007. We are still to this day using the dresser.

Also, I just saw that I have another crib that had been recalled and a pack n play also. I am taking those back to Target tomorrow. Wal-Mart and Babies R Us told me they wouldnt take them because they were recalled too long ago. They have been put away because my 1st born in now 3. Now with another one on the way got everything back out and found that they have also been recalled. Called Target and they told me they would affore it! Thank goodness!

March 9, 2011 at 5:57 pm
(34) Sheila Greene says:

Our Simplicity “Chelsea” 8324H model was purchased from Burlington Coat Factory approximately 3 1/2 years ago. I just found out about the recall while attempting to reassemble it for the new baby due to arrive within 4 weeks. We couldn’t find the setup instructions so I went online and to our surprise saw the recall. We contacted the store Monday, two days ago and were asked when we would bring it in. We told them the next day which was yesterday, Tuesday evening. Once we got to the store they said they could only give us a store credit of $9.99. I did not want a refund but a replacement crib. They don’t have to worry about my business with them anymore and I will be more than happy to pass this experience on to my network of family and friends.

March 20, 2011 at 12:06 am
(35) Cathy says:

I have the same ellis combo n changer crib from burlington coat factory… I found this online. I am going to call on Monday.

March 26, 2011 at 8:25 am
(36) nubi says:

i have worked for WalMart Customer service for years. you can take a recalled item to them, regardless of if we sold it or not, regardless of if you have all the parts, regardless or if it is in good condition. it is federal law that we take it back and provide you a full CASH refund. period. if ANY walmart gives you problems, 1-800-wal-mart.

April 2, 2011 at 6:28 pm
(37) Lisa Herrmann says:

I have 2 cribs purchased from Burlington Coat Factory. They are currently refunding (Store Credit) $249.00. You just have to have the model number of your crib. Mine is the Ellis Deluxe 4-in-1. I talked to 2 stores… one in Utah (terrible customer service) and one in Boise, ID. The people in Boise were much nicer. I will be going next week to return both my cribs. Good luck everone.

April 22, 2011 at 8:37 pm
(38) nicole says:

I just called walmart. I have the simplicity ellis 4-1 in cherry… with the recalled model number. They stated that they dont have the color cherry on their list, so wont be able to refund me. the COLOR? Its the same crib thats recalled but because the color cherry is not on their list, I cant be compensated? WHAT BULL.

June 3, 2011 at 12:40 pm
(39) Erica says:

I just found out about this yesterday. My son’s bed is 5yrs old and I took it back to target today without a receipt and I got an in store credit for $249.00 the price I paid for the bed.

June 12, 2011 at 11:59 pm
(40) mari says:

i have this crib model 8648awt im missing the wheels to the crib its didnt come with it i had the drawer but threw it away cause it broke walmart wont take it unless i take them all the piece what can i do and what should i tell them about the missing parts please help i had see a message where it says its ilegal for them not to take the recall product maybe that mind help if i printed out and take it to them!

June 15, 2011 at 11:47 pm
(41) mom2boys says:

Just returned Model #8994W (said 2005 on bottom of instruction booklet) tonight at Walmart, where it was bought. No receipt, no box, no upc code. Didn’t even have the changer/dresser part because I couldn’t fit it in my car! Had called the Walmart recall #1-800-925-6278. He’d told me I should get a cash refund of $179.67 plus tax, and to call if I had any problems. Should have gotten the UPC code from him, would have gone faster…took the manager a good 10-15 to find the code. No problems with the manager doing the return, but the customer service ladies wanted a receipt, a upc code, and to give me store credit. I just calmly said I’d called the 1-800 customer service line and had been given the price and told it should be cash. Thanks to all the previous posters, they made it easy for me!! ; )

June 29, 2011 at 9:31 am
(42) Sarah says:

I bought the ellis deluxe 4-in-1 convertible, in cherry, from BabyCenterStore.com in March of 2008. Well, BabyCenterStore was acquired by Diapers.com in 2009. Neither BabyCenter.com nor Diapers.com will refund my purchase price for this recalled crib!! BabyCenter is telling me since their store is CLOSED, there is nothing they can do. They also referred me back to the manufacturer, after I told them Simplicity is OUT OF BUSINESS!! Diapers.com is telling me, since my purchase wasn’t through them, there is no record of sale, and there is nothing they can do. It saddens me that 2 websites so committed to babies, mothers-to-be and families are so NOT WILLING to do anything. I guess they received their profits, at my and my daughter’s expense.

June 29, 2011 at 3:34 pm
(43) Meliss says:

Im looking at returning my crib 8734h & ANOTHER one that I have to still get the model # for at target.. tagert said that they will return it for a gift card for $140..
**** Sarah call target’s 1-800-440-0680 see if they can help you

July 4, 2011 at 1:57 pm
(44) madi says:

i have the simplicity ellis crib and changer combo does anyone know if this is part of the recall and what can be done if i bought it in 2008 at albee baby.

July 12, 2011 at 3:28 am
(45) Savannah says:

I just found out my daughter has the Aspen 4 in 1 recalled also drop side which was recalled.
I found it to be as very nice crib until I found our about the recalls.

Now I’m hoping to return it somewhere and get a new crib !!

September 27, 2011 at 3:33 pm
(46) Apryl says:

I have this model and I JUST found out it was recalled in 2008 and 2010, found out by trying to sale it on craigslist, i feel horrible for posting it for sale and even worse for having my two daughters sleep it in after the recalls!!! I informed everyone interested in the crib of the recall and also warned them to never by a simplicity product and i took my post down. I decided to go ahead and take ours back to walmart to see if we could get any money back. The manager was soooooo rude, she pretty much called me a liar, said they never sold these models at ANY walmart across the united states!!!! Lie!!!!!!!!!!! She also tried to tell me that I bought the crib in 2005 not 2007, which was 2 years before my 4 year old was even born. I even told her the exact day it was bought May 10, 2007 (one day before my shower), she refused to take it and said that even if she could take it it would only be $60. Whats even worse is I was holding our baby in our arms, and they still turned us away!!!! we left very upset, I am filing compliants and I already called target, they told me to bring it in for a full refund even after I told them that I know it was purchased from walmart they will give me a refund anyway. Target is now my new walmart, I will never shop at walmart again. I am going to call the CPCS with the manager’s name, title and the store number to file a complaint. So if something like this happens with the retail stores I would recommend getting names, titles and the store number. It’s not our fault that Simplicity can’t make a crib worth a damn and its not our fault that these stores sold them to us!! Not saying it’s walmarts fault I got a recalled crib but I am saying that it is their policy to take it back.

October 16, 2011 at 6:53 pm
(47) Becca says:

After reading your comments I was wary about going to Babies R Us to try and return my recalled Simplicity Ellis 4 in 1 crib. I bought it in 2007 and now in 2011 with the second on the way, just heard about the recall from my mom who (she was searching for replacement parts and found the recall). I called the 800# for Babies R Us and they said to take it to the store. I called my local store and was told they “think I’ll only get, like, $20 because the recall was, like, a really long time ago.” The girl was so NOT helpful on the phone and left me on hold so long (apparently while she checked the price) that I finally just hung up.

TAKE IT TO TARGET! We walked in with the crib, in pieces, no box or receipt, and got a giftcard for $270. I was able to buy a whole new crib with a changing table AND a crib mattress the very same day. The people at my local store were so helpful and friendly that the thing that took the most time was trying to find a manager who I could sing their praises to. I was SO excited about the easy return, 4 years after I bought it, almost 2 years after the recall and from a now defunct manufacturer.

They could only offer a giftcard (but seriously, if you can’t find SOMETHING at Target you need or want, you must be a bazillionaire) and not cash, and they did swipe my drivers license, but I’ll bet that’s to keep the same person from buying recalled cribs at flea markets and garage sales for cheap and returning them for full price at the store. TAKE YOUR RECALLED CRIB TO TARGET – whether you bought it there or not, they should honor the recall.

October 19, 2011 at 12:44 pm
(48) Durango says:

I am wondering—if you do not need all the pieces of the crib for a refund what will prevent people from dividing a crib into several refunds from the same crib? BTW, I work at Walmart and the corporate policy for the way the customer is compensated is at the discretion of the individual store manager. Some do cash and some do store credit.

November 11, 2011 at 10:13 pm
(49) KHale says:

I just returned my son’s crib today to Target. I have to say I was a little sad because it really was a great crib and he loved how it changed into a big boy bed! But, we wanted to use it for our next baby and I would be worried constantly that something would happen.

With that said, Target called their recall number (after I had) to verify and they gave me a $270 giftcard. I had payed almost $300 before, so am very happy with the return.

November 11, 2011 at 10:21 pm
(50) Khale says:

And Becca, I completely agree!! They were so easy to work with. I had no receipt, no box, have had it for almost 3 years and voila!

November 13, 2011 at 1:55 pm
(51) Paul says:

Wow, i was just looking for a manual to convert it over as our boy is 3.5yrs old and find these. I remember when this recall happened but didn’t see our model number on the list. I now see it includes all metal frame/mattress support in which ours is.

Going to call my local Walmart and Target to see who can give me the best value. Thanks everyone for your information!

November 15, 2011 at 10:25 am
(52) Kyna says:

I had no problems with Walmart. Went in without any paper work with the crib and got my full amount.

November 18, 2011 at 9:06 pm
(53) Ashley says:

I called our local Shopko store about the recall and they had to check into it and call me back. I ended up having to call them back today and they said they could only offer $100. So after reading some comments I called up Target and they told me they could refund me $249.99 for the crib and to bring it on over. I will be taking this crib in this weekend since I just found out about this and with our 2nd on the way we need a crib.

November 27, 2011 at 4:16 am
(54) Victor says:

I went to Target yesterday and they gave me a gift card for $249.99 plus tax for a total of $267. I don’t even recall purchasing it for that much.

December 13, 2011 at 11:57 am
(55) Cassy says:

Just called 1-800-Wal-mart for recall on 8994w all they could give me was the UPC code for the product. So I called my nearest Wal-Mart and they said they could only give me a store credit of $60.00.. So then of course, I called 1-800wal-mart back and they said there’s nothing more they can do. I am sincerly ticked off, I read most the other comments and they all said Wal-Mart did great.. not for me. So much for their great customer service.

December 14, 2011 at 10:51 am
(56) Sharon says:

I had the same problem with Walmart in the US they wanted to give me $60 without my receipt and $129 with After a lot of calling and speaking with managers, my Canadian Walmart where I bought it are giving me $229 as an instore credit and I bought the crib in 2007.

December 21, 2011 at 5:41 pm
(57) Michelle says:

Which Walmart and Targets from what state did it work for you guys because the ones near me in CA, they said they don’t take them back.

January 26, 2012 at 3:10 pm
(58) Shari says:

Are the store still taking the 8755 4n1 cribs back I calls the Walmart 1800 number and they said it wasnt on the recall list. Can anyone help guide to where I should call to? Thanks!

January 30, 2012 at 3:42 pm
(59) Lea says:

Can anyone tell me if they have returned a Aspen 3 in 1 model 8740. It was a gift from my MIL and she said she purchased it at walmart but walmart is telling me they never sold that model. An would anyone happen to have a UPC or know where I can get one?

February 26, 2012 at 1:32 pm
(60) kristy says:

Does anyone happen to.have the upc for model 4605 w?

March 19, 2012 at 3:15 pm
(61) Terri says:

Called Walmart today, will only give $60 without a receipt. Called Target will refund $199.99 without a receipt. model # 8995. Go to Target!

March 26, 2012 at 12:02 am
(62) Elizabeth says:

I purchased my crib at burlington coat factory back in 2008.
I now recently wanted to make the full size bed for my son but had some trouble so I went online to see if i needed parts for it. I came across this recall and no wonder I couldnt find a website for simplicity. I will be calling them in the morning and hope they give me a full refund, if not would I be able to contact any other stores?

March 28, 2012 at 11:22 pm
(63) Karen says:

I love Target!! My daughter is expecting soon and decided to set up the crib. I just read about the recall and could not believe that her crib was the Simplicity Ellis 4 in 1! We called Target 1-800 guest service number. They gave her a reference number after we provided the model number and we brought the crib back to our local store. They gave my daughter in store credit that will just about cover the cost of a new crib. We are so grateful since money is very tight. Thank you Target!

April 16, 2012 at 4:27 pm
(64) Kevin says:

Wish they had done a better job of notifying on this one, I get that the company was out of business, but there are other ways, like having the resellers contact the purchasers. . . . Our daughter slept on this until just recently, then we went to sell this only to find this recall. But on the positive side, Target where we purchased this, was amazing. Go Target!

May 19, 2012 at 11:48 pm
(65) Nelly says:

I can’t believe I just saw this recall, my son has been sleeping in his crib for 3 1/2 years now and I only realized it because I wanted to convert it. Anyone have issues returning 8998 ELH Ellis changer/dresser combo? I bought mine at Kohl’s but I wonder if I will have better luck with Walmart or Target, however I’m disappointed because I remember it costing in the range of $350-$400

May 26, 2012 at 8:12 pm
(66) Ninanine says:

I just took my Simplicity crib back today and received $262.00. I was overseas when they called the recall on the beds. I had no idea it was even on recall until I tried to contact the company for a new manual . I’m just happy that Target still honors the recall! I’m so happy!

June 22, 2012 at 9:03 pm
(67) Gregg says:

I had recieved the smplicity 4600CL model as a gift from my aunt. I am going to be starting to have my daughter over nights soon, and i just found out about this recall as i was looking for parts. I am really hoping that target or someone will honor this recall, cuz i am in crunch time.

June 29, 2012 at 3:18 am
(68) ko says:

Has anyone returned the model #8997ELC from burlington? I am so sad to find out about this recall so late since I have had my daughter and son both using it since 2007… =( We were about to convert to the toddler bed when I found this recall. I hope the retailer will help me out.

June 29, 2012 at 2:49 pm
(69) KO says:

I just wanted to share that I took my crib to babies r us and had NO PROBLEMS at all with returning it for Merchandise Credit of $289!! I didnt even need to provide ID.. whoohoo!!

July 11, 2012 at 5:17 pm
(70) Kathryn says:

I just found out about this recall. Went to Target today with my Ellis 4-in-1 crib and they wouldn’t refund because “we don’t have a record of that model number” (the model number i found on the envelope that had come with it). So, for those of you who were successful at Target – did you provide them a model number, or just take the crib in?

July 16, 2012 at 6:45 pm
(71) JLS says:

I was so grateful for this site that I wanted to come leave my comments for any future crib owners. We have the Simplicity Crib n Changer Organizer 8994. I spent about 1.5 hours on the phone with Target and spoke with 5 different people, explained my situation 5 different times and was finally told they would get back to me in 3-4 days. Out of frustration I decided to call Wal-Mart and Babies R Us too. 1-800-Walmart wouldn’t help me at all and told me I had to take it into the store. With Babies R Us I spent about 10minutes on the phone with a very helpful employee who told me to bring it in and they would give me $150.98. Two days later, Target called me back and told me they would take it back for $149.99, after all that, it was a difference of $1.00 but at least I can afford to get a new crib for my new baby.

July 17, 2012 at 12:45 pm
(72) Desiree says:

I have a Simplicity Portland 4-in-1 Changer Combo and I called Target and they said that its not a part of their recall (it is, because all models with a metal tube mattress frame are). I called wal-mart and they said without the original receipt they only give $60 store credit, and I called Babies R Us corporate and got a reference number but they did not tell me how much I would get for it. I will leave another posting later today finding out how much I get @ Babies R Us.

July 22, 2012 at 4:00 pm
(73) Erick says:

I just now found out about the recall on these cribs. I bought the 8676pro model back in 2005 at burlington coat factory, does anyone know if they still honor the recall or they have to right?

if not is there anywere else i can take it?

July 23, 2012 at 12:21 am
(74) Agnes says:

I got my crib 5 years ago when trying to sell I find out about the recall , I call the store Burlington Coat Factory , they check the model # and tell me to bring to the store to get store credit ( no recipt ).Got $299 + tax without any problem.Little less that I pay original but no question ask.

July 26, 2012 at 8:36 pm
(75) Desiree says:
July 28, 2012 at 1:25 pm
(76) MARIA says:

HOW DO I FIND OUT THE REFUND AMOUNT I CAN GET? I JUST CALLED BURLINGTON AND THEY ARE BEING VERY HELPFUL THEY ARE JUST TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW MUCH CREDIT THEYRE SUPPOSED TO GIVE ME.

July 30, 2012 at 9:43 pm
(77) Brian says:

Found out last weekend that our Simplicity 3 in 1 model #8994w was recalled. Bought it six years ago and paid $150+ for it. We took it back and they gave us $60 for it and said that’s what we had payed for it. I had 3 confirm that we paid $150+ for it (not wal-mart employees). So we got told if we don’t have a receipt that says otherwise that’s what we get back. Where can you get a brand new 3 in 1 crib for $60??? Very upset with them. But on the positive side that’s $60 back in our pockets.

August 11, 2012 at 6:13 pm
(78) Jen says:

I purchased my crib from Target over 4 years ago and paid $250. I just found out it had been recalled 2 years ago. I called Target and they asked me to get an item# or SKU# from a Target 800# they provided me with. I was also given a reference # and told to bring my crib back to Target. I gave Target the numbers/info and the crib. They needed my Driver’s License and they were able to process it right away, no questions asked. I got a full refund (plus the tax). Thanks Target!

August 30, 2012 at 6:05 pm
(79) aakmadrid says:

I had The 8997elc recently found out it had been re called a few years ago, I called babys r us where we had bought the crib they said they could only give me 75$ for the crib because the value decreases, called walmart they said they would need to look at it and see what condition the crib was in. called burlington coat factoy they said to bring it in and they would give me and instore credit of how much i payed for it, so my husband and i went over and they gave us 450$ we ended up walking out of the store with a brand new crib. stroller, car seat and a high chair and only spend 21$ out of pocket, i had never been to burlington prior but i will def be going back for more, the selection was great the people were extra nice and helpfull and we were able to find name brand items for amazing prices
thanks guys :)

October 16, 2012 at 4:06 pm
(80) kc says:

Hi, I am a single mom, and I got a aspen 4/1 crib #8748 and I’ve had it for 2yrs now, got it as a gift, kinda run down, but I was wondering where I got to turn it in, Walmart don’t do it anymore and I don’t want store credit unless I can get child furniture, fabric, toys and learning stuff. I have a 2yr old and don’t really know what to get for her….. Pls HELP!

October 20, 2012 at 6:56 pm
(81) lisa says:

I just found out about this recall. I bought mine at shopko in 2007 they gave me 250.00 cash since I had the receipt.Great to work with

November 1, 2012 at 10:20 am
(82) brittney says:

how do i know what number my crib is? its a crib changer combo

November 10, 2012 at 7:41 pm
(83) KateH says:

I was trying to sell my Simplicity Ellis #8676C on Craigslist when a potential buyer informed me of the recall. I hope something can be done through one of the retailers, even though it’s more than 2 yrs after the recall. :/

November 12, 2012 at 9:59 am
(84) KatieH says:

I just got off the phone with Target and I will be receiving $250 back. Not sure if it will be in the form of cash or gift card, but it doesn’t matter either way. Happy my babies weren’t harmed by the defective crib and glad to have some sort of refund for it. :)

November 13, 2012 at 9:32 pm
(85) Tiffany Brown says:

I am currently pregnant and my friend recently gave me a crib she no longer needed, for my new baby. Come to find out it was the Simplicity crib/changer combo, model # 8994W. Once I found out it had been recalled, I did not want to use it. After seeing this website, I found the number for Target Guest Relations, which is 1-800-440-0680. I spoke to a representative regarding the recall of the crib and she gave me a reference number and a product number to take to my closest Target store. I took the whole crib (all parts/accessories) to the store, along with the two numbers and I presented all of it to the customer service clerk. In return I recieved gift card for $148.39. The purchase price of the crib plus tax. I am very pleased at how easy it was to resolve this issue with Target.

December 6, 2012 at 3:39 pm
(86) A thankful mom says:

I went online yesterday(12-05-12) to order the conversion rails for my son’s bed and found out it was part of the recall. We had the Simplicity Ellis 4 in 1 conversion system and he’s been sleeping on it for over four years!!! Turns out they were recalled after an accident in 2008, the year I bought the crib. We have never had an issue with this bed but after reading the reports and making some phone calls I took it apart that same night. Called the local Target, (place I purchased the bed) and was told to bring it in. The girls at the service counter were very helpful and called the company rep to walk them through the process. They even called the recall line directly and handled the whole return transaction in about 30 minutes. I had previously found the same comperable bed online through Target and they credited me the full purchase price $249.99 plus tax =$270.61 total. The bed was over four years old and well used. Not to mention I originally bought it in Oregon and returned it in Texas. I have ordered the new bed online and all together my out of pocket expense was a whopping $30.00 for shipping. Thankfully my son is quite small for his age and at 29 lbs. did not have an issue with the collapsing that others have had. When I took the bed apart however, even with as light as he is, the support rails on the frame that hold the matress were visibly bent. I am so thankfull that we never had the guilt of an accident resulting from a bed that I bought for my baby. Even if you have never had a problem with your bed, get it out of your house! The hassle of assembling the new one is well worth the peace of mind that comes from knowing your angel is not sleeping in a deathtrap.

December 15, 2012 at 7:52 am
(87) Karina says:

I bought this crib from someone else and having been using it for almost 2 years, I’m just not sure if I should try and take it somewhere to get a credit or not?

December 15, 2012 at 10:37 am
(88) Karina says:

I just called Babies R Us and they will not honor the recall they said it’s been too long! I think this is crazy, how were we supposed to know it wasn’t recalled till after we had it and it’s not like we were looking into it after the fact. This makes me really mad. Target was at least helpful they just said bring it in, we’ll figure it out.

January 3, 2013 at 7:36 pm
(89) Erika says:

I just found out about the recall because I was trying to purchase a chest that went with the 4 in 1 Simplicity crib. I also purchased it in 2008 but I went to target and they told me to call the company nobody knew what to do. What should I do and who can I call?

January 28, 2013 at 1:02 pm
(90) Miki says:

@Erica,

I also have the simplicity ellis deluxe 4-in-1 conv. Crib.
I just called Target’s customer care line 1 (800) 440-0680 and gave them the model number. The guest service rep gave me a reference number and told me to take it in to target with the crib and they will process my refund. I am not sure how much i will be receiving back yet, but they had no problems processing my recall. Good luck!

January 29, 2013 at 4:18 pm
(91) Miki says:

I returned my ellis deluxe 4-in-1 crib today at target with my reference number and they gave me a full refund of $264.99!! Hooray!!

February 4, 2013 at 11:57 pm
(92) Annie says:

Just pulled this out for my second child,originally bought in 2008 for $349+ at BRU. WHERE DO I FIND THE model no. For this crib to initiate the return process

February 6, 2013 at 12:40 pm
(93) TH says:

I have the Simplicity “Prescott” 8676PRO which was sold at Albee Baby online (Walmart, Target, and Babies R Us wanted to help but they didn’t sell the model so they couldn’t). Albee Baby refuses to do anything without the ORIGINAL order number! It was given to me as a gift for my first child and now I was about to use it for my 2nd I don’t have that number! Any ideas? I have contacted CPSC but have not heard back yet.

February 15, 2013 at 8:32 pm
(94) DOris says:

I just found out about this recall & we purchased it in 2007 for our 3rd child-which was my hubbys first child. Then we had another child in 2010 & used this same crib, how scary is this! We had no idea about this recall. I just called Target & they said to bring the crib in. I still have all the paperworl/manual that came with it as well. SO hoping they don’t give me a hard time. wish me luck

February 17, 2013 at 2:40 pm
(95) Sharon says:

I live in New Brunswick, Canada. I just found out about this recall. I called Babies R Us. She tol me I had to call the manufacturer, who has gone out of business. She gave me the name of Elfie Juvenile & Greco to contact. The phone number is 1 (800) 667-8184. They are closed today. I pray I get my money back even though I purchased it in 2006. I will let you know how I make out with it

February 17, 2013 at 2:47 pm
(96) Sharon says:

I live in New Brunswick, Canada. I just found out about this recall and my second child is using this bed. Very scary! I called Babies R Us. She said I have to call the manufacturer who is no longer in business. She that’ve me the name and number of a company who is taking care of recalls like this. Elfie Juvenile & Greco 1 (800) 667-8184. I have to call them tomorrow. I hope to get my money back. I’ll let you know how I make out

February 18, 2013 at 8:50 am
(97) Sharon says:

I called Elfie Juvenile &Greco. I have to send them the thread ends of the frame and they will send me a$150 credit toward another one of their products. It’s better than nothing, I guess

February 27, 2013 at 10:55 pm
(98) nayeli rodriguez says:

i have two dropside cribs. one is the DELTA LUV CRIB 4750-1 and the second is DELTA JASMINE 5-1 4852-2. i received an email saying that they were recalled. i went to walmart and the manager asked me for the UPC number which i dont have. How do I get the UPC number? Do you guys have it? or have you returned the same model to a store. I want my cash back but if they give me a giftcard thats ok :0 please help…

March 20, 2013 at 6:28 am
(99) Ginger says:

I just found out about the recall because I was trying to call the company to get a new manual to put the crib together again. I called and talked to customer service at Targets corporate office just yesterday. They were very friendly and helpful. She said to find the model number on the bottom of one of the side rails. We are taking ours back this Saturday.

April 11, 2013 at 5:48 pm
(100) Josh says:

We have the same issue. Crib was bought and used for our son who is almost 4 and now have a new baby. I got online to find replacement drop side parts and found the recall. Called our local Walmart and they want the UPC# and then she said IF it’s still in the system she could help us. If not she can’t refund it. She also asked for a receipt and/or box. Don’t have either. I’m now on hold with 1-800-walmart to see what they say.

April 15, 2013 at 10:09 pm
(101) mickielle says:

I had received an aspen 4n1 changeable crib.. was bought in’08 didn’t even open it until ’09. Also that the company went out of buisness and was so many recalls even on mine! Just now finding this out.. my daughter still uses it! But I don’t have any of the Manuel or box that went with it.. it was purchased at Walmart. Do they still do instore credit so I can purchase her a safe toddle bed??

April 27, 2013 at 3:11 pm
(102) SB says:

I, too, was late to the game. Only found out about the recall when I was about to try and convert it to a full two days ago. Returned my Simplicity Ellis Crib n’ Changer combo to my local Babies R Us today. They have the recall information on their website.

May 5, 2013 at 9:57 pm
(103) Mario says:

I was looking for some additional parts today online and came across this recall. I called target and asked how they would remedy this and they told me to bring it into the store. I have the Ellis 4 in 1 convertible. I bought this crib in 2008 (5 years ago). Without any questions at all they gave me a FULL refund on a gift card. The amount was $249.99. They also gave me the tax which brought it up to about $270. I did not have the box, manual, or even the screws. All I had was the wood pieces, one of them had a sticker with the model number on it. Easy! If they give you a problem at the store just tell them to call refund authorization and they will approve it.

July 23, 2013 at 1:20 am
(104) Stephanie says:

I am very late in the game as well. We bought the Simplicity 8994W Model crib for our son in 2008 after a year we put it into storage and bought his twin bed. I am just now pulling it out of the storage and couldn’t find the manual to put it back together as we are expecting #2 after 2 years of trying to find it is recalled… I think we bought it at Target if I remember correctly… How would I get into contact with someone to find out what to do with this crib? The Simplicity Co is out of business now.

August 3, 2013 at 2:47 pm
(105) Megan says:

Stephanie, I am in the same boat. I just realized today that it has been recalled. Fortunately, it was ordered online and I was able to bring up the info in an old email account and they’re giving me a full refund. Did you order it from Target.com? Maybe the old shipment confirmation is in your email? Or you can check your old bank statements from when you bought it and Target can try to find it in their records? Good luck!

September 1, 2013 at 5:15 pm
(106) Jen says:

I just took my Ellis 4-1 (bought in 2006) to Target today and received a $249 Target gift card because I no longer had my receipt. I called the customer service recall dept at 1-800-440–68- prior to going in and they gave me a reference # which made it a lot easier. Good luck.

September 6, 2013 at 3:07 pm
(107) Eric says:

I just called WalMart regarding the Simplicity Crib/Changing Table Combo, model# 8994W. If anyone needs the UPS its 74102289951.

September 11, 2013 at 9:06 am
(108) Yolanda says:

I was trying to sell this crib of my daughters that I bought like 6 yrs ago, and came across the recall. So I called Burlington where I purchased it and they were great with the refund. So glad I searched this before I sold it, Im getting way more money back then had I sold it lol thank you:)

September 17, 2013 at 1:05 pm
(109) Stacie says:

contacted wal-mart customeer service in regards to refund on crib n changer combo 8994w. there are only offering a $60 refund

October 4, 2013 at 3:44 pm
(110) Faith says:

Was able to return mine back to Target, called the 1800 number and got a reference number, they looked up the model number and credited me back $268.00 onto a Target gift card when I brought it into the store. Praise God, it didn’t know what to do with a crib that was recalled years back, but apparently some stores are still honoring the recall. Perfect timing for helping out with Christmas gifts:)

October 15, 2013 at 12:27 pm
(111) Tina says:

I was able to return mine to Target and received a gift card for $139.99 plus tax. It was model 8994W.

I called the Target 800 number first, and they gave me a reference number. Customer service at the store wasn’t sure how to proceed, so they called and used that reference number, and then the return was easy.

I also called Wal-mart first. The woman I spoke to in my local store said according to the recall notes I would get $179.99 with a receipt or $60 without.

November 6, 2013 at 9:31 am
(112) midox says:

November 8, 2013 at 3:35 pm
(113) tina says:

thank you (107 ERIC) FOR THE upc# 74102289951 , 8994W, thank you . lets hope wal-mart is ok with this.

December 7, 2013 at 2:41 pm
(114) bstacy35 says:

I have spent 2 days with walmart anf they said the most they would give me was $60 unless I had the receipt. All I want to do is exchange for a crib that is not dangerous…..grrr

January 19, 2014 at 8:55 pm
(115) Jill says:

We had the 8676 model and have had it since 2007. We bought it from Burlington Coat Factory and when I called they said bring it in. I did not have a receipt, but they gave us $150 plus tax in store credit! We were just going to sell it and when I googled it to find a picture to post I saw it was recalled. It is worth it to contact the store where you purchased or just go to Burlington Coat Factory… I didn’t have a receipt and it didn’t matter.

January 23, 2014 at 4:33 pm
(116) John Flores says:

I called the navy exchange in Port Hueneme, Ca and the said theres nothing they can do because its beyond their return policy. Thats so rediculous because I bought 2 from them. This is horrible, I’m about to have another baby soon and can’t get any help from my navy exchange.

February 19, 2014 at 4:21 am
(117) Leigh says:

I got my crib from a friend. It wasn’t quite the one I wanted but I was going to live with it because it was free. Went to put it together and found it was missing one little part. Went online to find out about replacing it and found it was recalled. I called Target and said I had bought it for my older child but didn’t have a reciept. They promised me $139.99 store credit for it. Glad I looked into it! Now I can buy the one I want online with them for only $80 for the difference, shipping and all!
Simplicity 8994 is the one I was gifted

February 19, 2014 at 12:20 pm
(118) Laurie Lippert says:

I bought this crib several years from someone who bought it for their grandchild to sleep in when they came to visit and it was only used a couple of times so it was in brand new condition and therefore I paid quite a bit for it. I was also buying it for grandchild to use when they visited. Now I am getting ready to use it for another grandchild that I babysit for on a daily basis. I went online to find out how to get the parts to make the railing stationery and found this recall. I called the target customer service number as suggested by others on this page and was given a reference number. The agent was unable to give me the amount they would be giving me when I return it to the store because the system was doing updates and he couldn’t access that information. It is model number 8754W that I am returning which is one of the convertible models.

February 23, 2014 at 5:59 pm
(119) holly says:

How is it I have never received a notice about this crib? I currently have one that was purchased in 07, we have had it in storage for some time and were just about to use it as the full size bed, and I needed to order the wood rails, when I came across this recall notice…
I registered when it was purchased and never was sent anything!

March 9, 2014 at 12:45 pm
(120) Heather says:

Anyone have a UPC for the 8676C model (Ellis deluxe 4 in 1). Just seeing the recall now (crib was in storage) as we went to put it together for new baby… walmart is giving us a hard time saying they need the item number…

might try babies r us if no luck with walmart :(

March 15, 2014 at 9:42 pm
(121) Mei says:

My sis was about to receive the simplicity Milan 4 in 1 crib Model 8904P from me. Was looking to buy a replacement part, and was told that it was part of a recall. Bought it at target online years back (kept the shipping receipt), called the number posted above for target, got a reference #, showed up a local store, they called to double check recall, and gave me $159.99 back.

Thank you said the soon to be here family member!!!!