1. Parenting
Heather Corley

Hot Baby Products: Baby Safety Helmets?

By April 15, 2008

I have to thank Buck Wolf, About.com Weird News Guide, for the heads up on Thudguards, baby-sized protective helmets that are now available in the U.S. Though these stretchy baby helmets look funny, their reason for existence is quite serious. ERs see plenty of youngsters with head injuries each year. In fact, Buck mentions that Thudguard received endorsement from the British Association of Accident and Emergency Medicine!

Do you think baby safety helmets will take off in the U.S. market? Or is this product going a little too far towards overprotective parenting? Add your thoughts by using the comments link below.
Comments
April 15, 2008 at 5:38 pm
(1) Mary says:

Oh, heavens, I hope not! Good grief, babies have been falling since they first learned to stand. Move out all the dangerous furniture, put a gate up at the steps, and don’t leave them unattended when they’re wobbly or in the climbing stage. Do they make helmets for three yr olds who try to fall off their bed, or eight year olds who fall while bouncing? How about for ten year olds who fall out of trees? The sad truth is, you can’t protect your children as much as you’d like!

May 2, 2008 at 3:43 am
(2) Sara - Mum of 4 says:

Babies at age one cant help but fall over but a child of 3 should hopefully have learned to balance by then! To have a preventative measure rather than end up at ER is sensible and it is very unreasonalble for people to say that all ages will end up having this helmet. Do you remember riding a bike for the first time? Well what do you think a baby has to go thru for a few months?

July 20, 2008 at 1:37 am
(3) Jackie says:

I hope this not only catches on, I hope more parents in the US begin to take head injuries more seriously. It’s ridiculous to compare what a crawler or new walker is going through to that of older children. My 7 month old has no way to comprehend the ramifications of his actions. He is exploring and doesn’t understand what will hurt him. I’m watching him bump and bruise himself all over the house while simply trying to be more mobile. And you know what . . . it hurts him and the pain is real. He can’t protect himself so it’s up to us as his parents to do it for him.

The whole “babies have been doing this” forever attitude is ignorant. There are a lot of stupid things we used to just let our children muddle through until we got smart over the years. It was only a few decades ago that we started giving infants anesthesia for surgeries and only recently did the FDA start recommending pain medications for circumcisions. Why do we think our children need to go through this kind of pain to enter the world with the rest of us? (And don’t even get me started about what we still do to animals.)

We just ordered a thudguard. Not because we heard about it but because we got on-line to seek out a product to protect our baby’s head after many falls and bumps since he started sitting up and crawling. It’s the answer to our prayers and I can’t wait to get it. I’ll tell all my friends about it as well. The Brits are right on with this one.

September 17, 2008 at 9:42 am
(4) albertjames says:

Offering a flight vest to secure a child on a lap during flight to protect against turbulence.
Baby No Bumps – Infant safety helmet protecting the head against falls and accidents while learning to walk and stand.
————
albertjames
SuperBabyGuide

September 17, 2008 at 1:50 pm
(5) THX 1138 says:

I donít see why a parent wouldnít seek out a reputable child helmet to avoid potential serious injury during the early stages of walking. If a toddler lived in a tiled home, the injuries resulting from impact would be no less than an adult falling backwards to hit their head on the ice. Lasting serious injury may result, but would you want to take that chance with your own skull? Could a parent be considered negligent for not providing this form of protection in a home with great potential for serious injury (hardwood or tile floors/sharp corners/etc.)? Isnít a parent responsible for their childís safety in a car, on a bike, or playing various sports? Iím glad to learn I donít have to resort to making one for my own child. I plan to get one for my little girl. (Harsh comments directed at parents for considering this product are likely from parents that feel guilt for not doing all they could have for their own children; it would be a hard thing to admit to oneself.)

September 17, 2008 at 1:52 pm
(6) Teeache Ex says:

October 5, 2008 at 6:13 pm
(7) Melanie says:

I am sooo happy they make these – my son who is 2 has cerebral palsy and is wobbly on his feet. I have been looking for a helmet to keep him safe but one that looks nice (as nice as a helmet can look). I am happy they make this product – I am glad he won’t hit his head as much and be protected.
Thanks

October 23, 2008 at 4:02 pm
(8) rexb says:

Well I have a 1 year old son and he’s very active. He always has bumps on his forehead no matter how much we look after him. I just called my wife from work and ask how’s our little boy doing and joked if he has new bumps again. Sure enough he has gotten a new one. So now i’m in the market for helmet, headgear, head protector. I’ve seen in the web already the thudguard and the softtop safety headgear.

October 24, 2008 at 6:17 pm
(9) Charlotte Young says:

I just wanted to say thank you for all those intelligent comments. I am the US distributor of Thudguard. We are here to offer parents an optional protective head gear.

Babyís First Head Gear was founded on the principle of protecting babiesí heads. At this stage of life toddlersí brains and skulls are growing and determining any damage from hard falls becomes a key decision point for parents. We are dedicated to help lessen the chance of head injury and we encourage movement and play inside, outside and on any kind of surfaces.

Visit my web site for more info: http://www.babysfirstheadgear.com

October 27, 2008 at 4:13 am
(10) Simone Evert says:

Well done Charlotte – happy to see that one of us(usa), got their first!

Mum of 5
TX

November 4, 2008 at 10:08 am
(11) tropnla says:

I think these baby safety helmets are a wonderful invention.
Whilst Thudguard seems more ideal for the older child I think Babynobumps has been designed for the younger child.
Both are a necessity in the care and safety of our young babies and children – we do not yet fully understand the long term damage a serious head injury could cause to a young child.

November 11, 2008 at 4:44 pm
(12) Susan Coleman says:

I think it is a great idea but we have one of the best in the U.S. called Baby No Bumps. Why would we support a product outside the U.S. My whole family has one for their little ones.
This one looks to hot for their little heads and they say they have to keep removing it. Over engineered.

December 18, 2008 at 4:20 am
(13) Rid says:

This is real a revolutionary products for baby,I am the BNB suppliers in China,I also want this can open the market in the world, the most important is,all the baby in the world can be safe when they are learning to wlak.

Hope coming soon!

January 14, 2009 at 9:54 pm
(14) Tammy says:

I am so excited about ordering this for my one year old. I am just sorry I didn’t think to get one sooner or for my oldest child. I have had enough! He gets a bad bruise on his head every other day and it makes me sink to think of the horrible possibilities a head injury can incur. I watch my 1 yr. old walk all wobbly biting my nails praying he will not fall again … but it is surely inevitable! So I am doing it and am so thankful for this invention!

January 24, 2009 at 10:18 pm
(15) Dan says:

I just saw an add for these in a Parent/Child Magazine.

Never, not in a million years will I subject my kid to this “safety” device. What’s next a big plastic bag we swaddle the kid up in, packed out with packing bubble sheets so they can’t touch anything that might harm them in the slightest way. Oh wait, I forget EVERY plastic bag in America now has “keep away from infants and small children” printed on it.. I guess it could be some breakthrough breathable type foam.

Folks, humans learn from making mistakes. I see this as more a device to desensitize a child in the future from the “gee, perhaps I should not do that again, that hurts” that drives us all in our core of our being. We ALL have “that story” that we never forget happened to us sometime when we were little. It helped you make safer decisions down the road in life.

I have a son, who just tuned one, and yes, he falls some times. Guess what, he looks to see if I have a reaction, and if not, he gets up again. We added gates, made things a bit more safer, but a 100% helmet on his head at all times when he’s out playing. Please.

I can see safety gear for bikes, skates, go-carts, race cars, baby seats – I use/plan to use them all etc… learning to walk.. NO!

Whats next some little knee and elbow pads so when he falls he wont get a bump?

Its no wonder America is in the state its gotten itself into.

Yes, head injuries are very serious. Falling down onto the coffee table when your one, is scary – but not brain injuring in the least.

I suggest you all take a look at http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/ for some real ideas on raising a “Safer” kid in today’s world.

Get some foam mats if your kid has bad head control after a few whacks backwards – and they get scared – they start to “Get it” real quick.

Give your kids more credit, they deserve it.

February 3, 2009 at 11:52 am
(16) Suzanne M. says:

We have bought a wonderful safety helmet right here in the U.S. Baby No Bumps. It is being used in hospitals, daycares and homes of course.
We tried Thudguard and our son wouldn’t keep it on as it was too hot. Let’s patronize our own manufacture right here in the U.S. It is a fantastic product.

February 4, 2009 at 12:42 pm
(17) John Sible says:

I ran a web search for “infant crash helmet” when our 7 month old twins became mobile enough to smack their noggins, a sure sign that worse was yet to come. In contrast, my wife wanted to put gates and padding everywhere in the house making it look like a scene from “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.” After sifting through the results of my search I found Thudguard and showed it to my wife. Her reply was, “Helmets are only for children with special needs – I don’t want people thinking that about our children…” Well, a few days later both girls bumped their heads pretty good. My wife had a change of heart, and told me to place the order immediately. We’ll still have a few gates, but I’m hoping for a happy medium. Can’t wait to receive them.

I prefer the Thudguard to other products that are available as it looks like it will give more overall protection and is a design very like the cycle helmet so wonít look so dorky. By the way, I think they’re cute!

MD and Dad
LA

February 9, 2009 at 11:13 am
(18) Santi's Mom says:

I am so happy I’ve just found these helmets for babies. I didn’t know such a thing would exist, and I am so grateful that someone thought about inventing them, otherwise I would of. My son is 12 months, and even though he just started walking he has been mobile for a good while now and has had many bumps and scrapes, at home and at the daycare. No matter how much you are watching over them you cannot avoid them falling backwards or forward, and it’s very scary you can’t predict how hard that fall will be even if you have foam mats at home. We’re definitely getting a thudguard helmet in the US! It’s better to prevent than to regret later on.

March 29, 2009 at 12:56 am
(19) Rachael says:

I understand the “Nah” sayers because I use to be one. My first son had his share of falls, bumps and bruises but he was just being a kid. Nothing serious. Then came my second son! His head is like a magnet to anything hard or with a bruising edge. I am not saying all kids should wear something like the Thudguard. What I am saying is that, all children are different. A bump here or there is one thing, but goose eggs and bruises all the time no matter how close I watch is too much. I am not going to get rid of my table and chairs. And I’m not going wrap my home in foam. I am getting the Thudguard from when my son needs it! All kids need to learn but no child deserves to hurt if they don’t have to!

April 29, 2009 at 12:44 am
(20) Suzie says:

We bought a thudguard and it was so hot, he would not keep it on and he couldn’t hear with it on which is very dangerous so we ended up buying Baby no Bumps and it is 100% cotton, and is cool and light/he loves it.

May 6, 2009 at 5:14 pm
(21) Olga says:

When our son was 7 months old he decided to stand up although he never learned to sit or crawl. Many weeks later, many bruises later and even trips to the doctor we found the baby no bumps on an Irish site buttercupskids.ie and we are so thankful for it! I’ve told all my friends as I’m convinced it saved us trips to the A&E at the hospital!

May 20, 2009 at 10:52 am
(22) mary white says:

I tried the babynobumps but my son still got the corner of his head bruised through the large gaps that this helmet has, when he fell against the table. How can this be called a protective hat? I think I will just pad all the house thank you very much!

Very angry mum
TX

May 20, 2009 at 12:28 pm
(23) From a Celebrity mom, USA says:

I donít care what baby safety hat I buy for my son when he starts walking Ė I just think the idea is brilliant! Well done to any mom who comes up with an idea to protect their child. It must take hard work and dedication. It is so easy to knock other peopleís hard work but these baby safety hats are saving pain and anguish so why donít people stop criticising creativity and get a life where they can contribute to humanity. And stop the product quality assault Ė both helmets are fantastic because they help children for goodness sake so these companies should work together!

May 20, 2009 at 12:47 pm
(24) Kim Fuwai says:

Well said Miss Celebrity mom. You are talking with wisdom. Can you tell us who you are please?

May 28, 2009 at 2:43 pm
(25) James in Indiana says:

I agree. Both ideas seem to be good, however I do have 1 observation: I purchased the Thudguard unit and was very pleased at first. I then noticed that our little one was constantly trying to take it off because his little head was heating up so much. In fact when we took it off, my Barbara noticed that his head was sweaty. I became concerned about the overheating of his head so I no longer use it. Protection seems to be OK but better ventilation is certainly a must.

Another small observation is that he didn’t seem to be able to hear us speak to him as he was wearing it. This may be a safety issue as they start walking on their own and you are trying to get their attention.

James, MD
Indiana

June 9, 2009 at 3:48 am
(26) Scott M says:

The comments are interesting to me, and honestly, quite irritating. This oh-come-on attitude that bashing babies heads is somehow an integral part of their growing up seems driven from ridicule and closed mindedness. I am an insane person. I have had 5 orthopedic surgeries from a lifetime of ski racing and motorcycle crashes. When I leave the house on an adventure my wife seriously can check on my location via gps, so she can find the body she says. Anyone that suggests this country is in a sad state because of over protective people like me should come over for a visit. Luckily my brain has remained intact and I realize the danger in our new baby bouncing her skull off our tile floor. So, what is it she learns from a traumatic head injury at the age of 6 months? Some sort of important life lesson? You’re an idiot. Save your sanctimonious crap for whatever other thoughtless preconceptions you have. Ok feel better now. Gonna order one.

June 11, 2009 at 10:14 am
(27) Andrea says:

I’m wondering if any of you who have used the Thudguard can comment on it’s effectiveness for older babies. My youngest (of 3) is 14 months old and gets himself into a lot of trouble. He knocked out his bottom two teeth last week and ripped out a portion of his gum from diving off the back deck steps. He knows how to properly go down the steps, he just decided to dive. He has figured out how to push furniture to higher places, pull down the baby gates (we’re working on new ones) and is constantly on the prowl for other dangerous opportunities! Our house is as baby proofed as it can be and with the other children I was much more relaxed, letting them figure things out. However, with the youngest, he is so adventurous that I wonder if I’m being irresponsible for not protecting him more. Especially since he has already had a significant injury. Is the Thudguard helpful for older babies?

June 23, 2009 at 4:56 pm
(28) C says:

I’m thinking of ordering a thudguard because it seems to be the only helmet available in an infant size. My daughter had a stroke at the age of 1, and has a mild to moderate bleeding disorder. At the recommendation of the pediatric stroke team, she will need to wear a helmet when she begins to stand through becoming a steady walker as a second head injury could cause her to have another stroke.

We are free range parents, but for medical reasons, our child will be helmeted. Future kids wouldn’t be as they will (hopefully) not have the same kind of medical necessity

June 29, 2009 at 11:08 am
(29) Mom says:

Well after my child experienced a skull fracture as a result of the fall I thought better of the “overprotective” line of thought! He now definitely wears a helmet..”thudguard” to be specific on hard surfaces such as tile etc. Do I really care if someone else thinks I’m overprotective if it prevents a potential skull fracture? I think not :O)!

July 7, 2009 at 5:19 pm
(30) Dana says:

No, I don’t think it’s necessary to pad kids up so well that they can’t see daylight. It’s ok to eat a little dirt and get some scapes and bruises, but head injuries, come on. How many head injuries will it takes before a 7 month old learns that when they fall it hurts? Come on, they’re not falling on purpose! I don’t intend for my son to wear this all of the time, but I think at playtime when you can’t be right there holding his hand the whole time it’s not a bad idea. I haven’t purchased a helmet yet, but I have concerns about buying one that sounds like it might be too hot or one that has a gap in it where the child can still hit his head. Trips to the doctor are not cheap these days and if a helmet gives me a little more peace of mind I’m not going to feel guilty about getting one.

July 13, 2009 at 9:55 pm
(31) FreeWanderer says:

I think this product is a little corny. What did we do in the olden days when babies learned to walk? Generations of humans learned to walk without these helmets, and Suprise! We survived into adulthood! I guess that’s what our skulls are for. Face it, children are going to get bumps and bruises, and if you monitor your children during the time that they are learning to walk, they’ll be fine. I think this thing is another expensive product that we don’t need on the market.

July 19, 2009 at 3:29 pm
(32) Caroline says:

Actually we coped “just fine” before dual circuit anti-lock brakes, air conditioning, cholesterol medications, seat belts and air bags, telephones, antibiotics, Thudguard hats and a whole host of other features of modern life that were once dismissed as excessive and now we view as essentials.

Don’t look back – look forward!

P.S. – I love our new Thud Guard and use it on our little one for only about 5 to 10 minutes at any one time, few times a day. Like the website says, any headgear would make your head a bit hot after a while so donít be stupid and leave a helmet on for too long. Itís only supposed to be for the small learning curve not a substitute for your attention or a baby sitter for goodness sake!

July 24, 2009 at 11:02 pm
(33) Christie says:

I think the Thudguard is an excellent item. I’m actually thinking of ordering one. My son is almost 16 months and when he gets mad he smashes his forehead on whatever is closest..hardwood floor, the wall, toys…he doesn’t care and it’s been going on for months now and he always has bruises on his forehead…he even at one point cut his forehead open. It’s awful and I no longer no what to do about it. So I thought maybe if I try this he will get tired of wearing it and stop hitting his head on things…and atleast he won’t be bruising himself up. It’s VERY stressful. So you have to realize that this is a good item not only for walkers but kids that are doing what my son is doing.

July 25, 2009 at 8:21 pm
(34) ifsogirl says:

It’s funny I have read all 33 post previous to mine and allthough only a handfull are against this product, it hasn’t changed my initial thoughts.

I agree that some children will need such a product. Those with special needs or the “dare devil” type. But how many of those childhood head injuries were caused by something other than a minor fall? Hiow many were children playing unsupervised, or in an unsafe way. Yes the risk is always there. But are you going to stop your children from doing everything?

When my daughters were going through the walking stage, they fell, they got up. The only time they were injured badly, (and both of them did the same thing in different peoples homes) they triped on an area rug and smacked their faces on a coffee table. One bruised her nose, the other broke a tooth. No helmet would have prevented that from happening.

Yes there are many safety standards that have changed over the last 40 or 50 yrs, but some don’t make sense for the majority of children. This is my piece of advice for all parents. Parent from you heart, not from a book.

August 12, 2009 at 6:46 am
(35) LovingMommy says:

I just got over being in the hospital tonight with my 20 month old son. He has a concussion. We have hardwood floors and it seems like his head is a danger magnet. I can’t afford to spend thousands of dollars to carpet my house, and “nerf” everything. My grandmother suggested buying a helmet and at first I didn’t think they were for all kids, but kids with special needs. I saw the site for Thudguard and I think it is ingenious. I looked at the other ones that the users here have commented on and they are I am sorry to say pretty unattractive. One looked like something a baloon animal hat would resemble and the other looked like it didn’t offer as much protection. Of course there are a lot of steps to be taken and discoveries to be made and basically what it boils down to is, I am glad there is something out there for these kids. I thought I would die of fear loading my toddler in an ambulance watching him vomit all over the house from a concussion, or having to hold him down for a CAT Scan. And all he did was run, and trip on his own feet in our house.

On another note I think that the parents who want to critisize or demean parents who want to protect our small small children from potentially permant damage needs to get an education. Do you know that children under that age of two have a very very short term memory? How can a child this young possibly remember “I should not run, play, be happy, and carefree…” You might be one of those parents that needs a reality check. Hope to not have to see you in the ER with a concussed child lamenting…too little, too late!

August 13, 2009 at 4:28 pm
(36) Josh says:

Jesus.

In two years, we’re going to find out that this product was made in China, contains lead and mercury, and you probably would have been better off wrapping your kid’s head in the packaging in which this ridiculous, fear-mongering product fell off the boat. That is, of course, unless you’ve already purchased the “Baby Bubble Enclosure” and the “All-Day Breathing Apparatus for Toddlers,” the combination of which will ensure your precious child never has to suffer contact with germs or *gasp* filthy children.

August 13, 2009 at 4:39 pm
(37) Kevin says:

I already picked up one of these:

My kid is really safe.

August 13, 2009 at 7:34 pm
(38) BDub750 says:

Why only protect their head when you can protect their entire body?

August 18, 2009 at 11:19 pm
(39) denise cavrell says:

my 20 month old son is as active as ever. every day he was falling and getting giant black and blue lumps on his head. i felt terrible for him and also so guilty. how could a “good mother” allow her baby to fall so often? i was racked with guilt but i wanted to give him freedom to explore. my sister in law ordered him a soft helmut ( not this one) still the same, it worked and its a super idea. it looks silly but it does the trick. no more guilty feelings and now when he tumbles, he gets up and we’re all fine. don’t listen to the naysayers. i don’t buy into half the new age gadgets but this idea is good!

September 16, 2009 at 10:58 am
(40) Chris says:

Im starting to get phone calls from the daycare every day now with head bump reports for my 9 month old.. Who knows what happens in the absence of your care when no one is paying attention. I say thumbs up to the helmet!

September 21, 2009 at 2:17 am
(41) William says:

I think this is a great idea especially for those of us who have houses with virtually no carpeting…we just spent the week for our daughter who is 7 weeks old at Childrens Hospital, she is ok but if you were to take a trip through one of these outstanding facilities you would be proactive in this idea for sure!

October 10, 2009 at 1:38 pm
(42) Mel says:

I worry that kids could choke if the straps got caught on something. It looks like users are exchanging one danger for another.

October 22, 2009 at 1:18 pm
(43) Michelle says:

I absolutely think Helmets are a great thing. I am a mother of two children 7 and 10 months. I purchased my thudgaurd helmet today. My daughter had a few falls nothing serious and she is now 7 my son fell yesterday off a bed and I was sitting there with him but he moved so fast and I just couldn’t grab him in time. He fractured his skull. The bed is 2 1/2 feet high he is 28 inches tall. It was a serious and I have to “keep” him from falling for the next 6 weeks and he is trying to walk.

November 30, 2009 at 3:41 pm
(44) pdx mom-to-be says:

I agree with everything “Dan” said. These helmets are absurd and I will not force my future daughter to wear one. I will “baby-proof” the house once she starts walking but she’ll learn to walk with a few bumps and scratches along the way…just like MILLIONS of people before her did! Seriously…what will the next big money-making scam for be for paranoid parents??? Sigh.

December 3, 2009 at 9:02 pm
(45) Shawna T. says:

My daughter has learning disabilities due to early childhood falls. When my other two children were born we bought the Baby No Bumps Helmet and both children never had a bump or bruise because of the helmet. I buy this for every baby shower and one year old birthday gift because it is a gift of love and concern. Thudguard was purchased by a friend and her child’s head broke out in horrible rashes from the heat and would not keep it on. She then purchased BNB
Thank you for inventing this wonderful helmet.

January 5, 2010 at 8:07 pm
(46) naomi says:

I’m a mom of 6, believe children should play in the dirt and at times inevitably eat it. I have 4 boys, I know all about bumps and bruises. Those who are so negative about this are as bad as the strawmen they attack. Extreme. I know kids take falls, it’s part of life. But this is a good idea. My sixth child who is 8 months old is climbing up on things and a tumble from her shakey legs to the tile floor is not a good thing to her little head. This Parents trying to bubble wrap their children, really?
I really don’t think anyone is trying to do that.

February 2, 2010 at 8:27 pm
(47) Robyn Kelly says:

Hi, I have read with interest the above comments as I am the BNB distributor in Australia. At the end of the day it is an individual decision whether to provide some protection for a baby or toddler’s head. There is no denying the fact that research has proven that repeated bumps etc to the head, can cause developmental, emotional and beahvourable problems in young children. No matter how careful you are with a baby or toddler, falls and bumps happen in a split second. Are the parents you wish to provide some form of protection for their baby’s head, being over protective – I don’t think so. They have made an informed decision based on their child’s current activity what we know today.

February 4, 2010 at 9:23 pm
(48) Robyn Kelly says:

Hi Heather,
Thankyou for adding my comment, I note that I must have misspelt ‘behavourable’ and I missed out ‘and’ – after child’s current activity (should be ‘and’ what we know today)
I don’t know if you are able to change this or not.
Many thanks,
Robyn Kelly

January 21, 2011 at 12:01 am
(49) beshay says:

My 4 month old just had cranial reconstructive surgery and we were told we need to protect her head from bumps for the next 6 months – I am hopeful that this helmet will help us to achieve the impossible as she learns to sit, crawl, and stand up!

March 23, 2011 at 10:05 pm
(50) Pablo says:

I wonder how many hypocrites in here criticized baby safety products yet they are perfectly happy to wear seatbelts in cars or airplanes and drive drive cars with airbags.
At the end of the day the product is there because there is a market for it.

September 13, 2011 at 12:13 am
(51) tiffani says:

I love this, we are ordering one for our 7 months old baby girl who started crawling last week. She has a rare but very VERY serious blood disorder where just a tiny bruise turns to a Hematoma or worse a hemorrhage in her head. She only been crawling a week and already a trip to the ER and a ct scan and she only had a tiny tiny bump….so I say this product is the answer to my prayers.

December 29, 2011 at 8:15 pm
(52) Shari says:

I keywrd searched “baby helmet” because my 6 month old grandchild is determined to walk whether she really can or not. She has red marks all over her head and I am scared. I am so grateful to know there is a product designed for little go-getters like mine. However, I can’t afford it. I am raising this new baby alone on disability. So now what? Because I am too poor, I may lose my child to a serious accident.

December 28, 2012 at 3:05 pm
(53) Marie says:

I like what Jackie says here. My 10-month-old is just starting to pull himself up on things and try to move around on his feet. He is frequently holding onto a toy or something at the same time (e.g. emptying out his little laundry basket while trying to remain standing), and loses his balance very often. He usually slams his head against something on teh way down, whether it be the edge of a cabinet door, the corner of a wall, a hard piece of furniture, etc. There’s always something you can’t pad that the little guy’s head manages to hit. He currently has two scratches and two decent-sized bumps on his forehead from loss-of-balance falls. I have blankets padding the brick hearth of the fireplace and corner and edge protectors up around the house, but he still bumps his head on hard surfaces often. The only thing I can think of, since hovering ovr him every second as he explores is next to impossible, is something like a padded helmet. It’s not too much, I think, to want to avoid the deep scratches, gouges, or broken blood vessels and contusions that turn a delightful time of new exploration and movement into a painful and disappointing fall. I’d much rather his falls be padded where it counts — his head. Then his falls won’t matter so much and his explorations can be more enjoyable all the way through.

January 14, 2013 at 3:08 am
(54) Paranoid Gran says:

I have read most of the comments and I just want to share an experience with you. I took my granchildren to the prk to play my 18 month old grandson fell and knocked his head. Later tht nite he started vomiting, the next morning he became disorientated and just wanted to sleep. He fell into a deep sleep and we could not wake him. We rushed him to hospital and he had to have a CT scan, which was clear [thank God] He is still in hospital and is just falling asleep al the time. We are just hoping tht it is nothing serious. Because of this I checked out the website for protective head gear. Growing children must get hurt but if you can protect them from it in a small way, do it. I do not want to go through what we did this past two days.

January 30, 2013 at 10:37 pm
(55) Berit says:

Whether you’re padding the furniture or the head, it’s all in the name of safety & at the end of the day, babies need our protection as they are so completely helpless. I’m going to do all I can in my power to keep the child from getting burned and hitting up against a sharp edge or hard floor. Call me crazy but my baby is completely innocent and dependent upon me for safety. I’ll provide everything I can to protect her. When she’s a little older and able to be taught dangers, then I can ease off of all the aids. The same people that are nay-sayers I’m surprised aren’t opposing baby gates and the like. I am really shocked they have nothing better to do than put down people trying to protect their children. I came on here looking for feedback on the product. I think this is another tool (like padding, gates, seatbelts/carseats) for protecting our children. Thanks all for great input re various helmets, I am balancing the pros and cons of each one. The nay-sayers are pathetic!

April 28, 2013 at 2:14 pm
(56) Cristina says:

Let me tell you a story my 10 month old daughter took a very bad fall this week. She ended up in a childrens hospital with a severely fractured skull. She had to have surgery to repair what was a large indentation on her skull. Thank God she is doing just fine and is well ion her way to being good as new. Now since she is home and we have tile floors we are very worried she is going to fall on her head and hurt her recovery. My point is all of this could have been prevented if she had a helmet on. I agree its not for everyone if I had soft carpet through out the home I don’t think I would have needed it in the first place but I have hard tile floors now I need to purchase this for something that could have been prevented. Now am i being over protective? Also i have a 2 year old son who is a climber and hits his head all the time on the hard tile floors hasn’t it been all over the news that concussions are getting more common and raising new concerns. I wouldn’t want to do anything that would have a long lasting affect in his life so why would i allow him to constantly hit his head.

February 21, 2014 at 11:17 am
(57) Rachel says:

If you have a child that constantly bumps there head is not fearfull of falling and is always with bruises while his little friends hardly ever have one then please do not judge. I would of been saying the same thing probably that its is ridiculous and over protective, but I i have learnt my lesson since i have a son who is very fearless and is very rough with himself. Every child is an individual some maybe even most wont need this but my son does so please don’t judge parents who are doing their best for their child