1. Parenting
Heather Corley

Spherical Car Seat Prototype Wins 'American Inventor'

By May 19, 2006

ABC's "American Inventor" reality TV show crowned a winner this week, giving amateur inventor Janusz Liberkowski a chance to take his car seat prototype, the Anecia Survival Capsule, to the next stages of development. Liberkowski, who lost his young daughter in a car crash, hopes to save the lives of other children with his innovative car seat design. The Anecia Survival Capsule, which is named after Liberkowski's late daughter, nestles the baby inside a series of spheres that spin during a crash, placing the baby at the safest angle to survive the collision.

Evenflo, a popular baby products manufacturer, announced today that it will partner with 'American Inventor' to continue developing the Anecia Survival Capsule. Car seats must go through rigorous testing to be sure they meet or exceed federal car seat standards before reaching U.S. consumers.
Comments
May 22, 2006 at 4:35 pm
(1) Andrew Korsak, Ph.D., retired mathematician says:

Wonderful idea! It sounds like it must be based on the rotational flexibility in a gyroscope but with larger spherical segment contacts as opposed to the thin breakable spindles. I will look for the patent to see how it works.

May 22, 2006 at 5:08 pm
(2) Heather, CPST says:

I agree, the idea is great. I wonder whether this new car seat will address misuse, though. Considering that more than 3/4 of all car seats are incorrectly used, a new car seat not only has to address the crash forces but also installation errors. I applaud the inventor’s drive to save children’s lives, but I think the biggest problem is that people can’t or won’t use car seats correctly, not that car seats aren’t safe enough.

May 23, 2006 at 1:02 pm
(3) LOL says:

This guys daughter was 21 when she died and not an infant. I voted thinking he lost his daughter due to car seat issues. This show promoted a lie; i wish i can take my vote back. I also found out this thing already exist. It is called the Child Safety Egg and the patent number can be found on its website. How did this thing make it to the final four let alone win. I feel like the show lied to me and stole my vote.

May 23, 2006 at 8:37 pm
(4) Amy says:

Whether this guy or show lied or not, this idea is ingenious. I can’t wait till it is out there. I will really try to get one of these as soon as I have a child.

May 29, 2006 at 10:47 pm
(5) J says:

I looked into the Saftey egg and the idea may be similar but the way it moves and the shape are very different. Also, It does not appear that the designer of the egg has ever actually produced one and has only tested it on a computer. Mr. Liberkowski put hard work into making a demo that proved with a little tweaking to be very effective.
As far as your whine about “stealing you vote” Who cares?!?! it was a stupid reality gameshow that for once did some good. you should feel proud that you helped possibly put this product on the market.
I Hope it’s out and available by the time our next child comes along.

May 30, 2006 at 4:03 pm
(6) Mary says:

I was so excited to see a great idea for a new infant car seat. I am hoping it will be on the market by christmas time when our first baby is due. This car seat just makes sense and I want it. Get that car seat done Evenflo. Consumers want it!!!

June 7, 2006 at 12:28 pm
(7) Christy says:

I agree, I want the seat also. My baby is due around christmas. So please evenflo get the carseat done quickly….thanks

June 8, 2006 at 7:38 pm
(8) Come-on! says:

That thing will never be done by Christmas people. These things have to go through a butt-load of govt saftey tests etc, and that thing is not even NEAR being ready to even start those yet, it has to be way further in production. I would say you will have to measure when it will come out by the year rather than by the month

June 12, 2006 at 2:01 pm
(9) Chuck says:

I wonder if the legality of the thing has been considered. Here in Michigan, infants are required to ride facing backward. I think the baby rides facing forward in this thing. What about rollovers? It looked to me like it was designed to rotate based on a front end crash. And I think parents will find it to be a pain with how small the opening is.

June 12, 2006 at 2:34 pm
(10) Lisa says:

Doug Hall, the inventor/judge who mentored Janusz during the show, has a FAQ up at Doug’s Soap Box and gives a lot more information than the show provided, including comparing it to the Safety Egg, the size of the seat, and other issues.

It seems like an amazingly good idea to me.

June 13, 2006 at 1:53 pm
(11) Jessica says:

I think any invention that tries to improve on child safety is worth the time and money to investigate. If it is found after testing to be an improvement then hurray for the children. If it is found not to be an improvement then no harm. If it ever becomes available and you don’t like it…then don’t buy it–consumerism at its best.

July 4, 2006 at 6:00 pm
(12) Steve says:

Is the user stabilized during non-impact transit? In other words does every little bounce upset the contents?

October 5, 2006 at 4:46 pm
(13) Richard says:

In Kmart (Oct.) I noticed that some of the Evenfo child seats were on sale. Maybe they are making way for the soon to be released Anecia car seat?

November 12, 2006 at 10:46 pm
(14) Ernie says:

does anyone know if or when the anecia car seat will be out. My brother inlaw and his wife have just had their first baby. (and is very beautiful i say)My wife and i would very much like to get one anecia for bro’s family. so if you know where they might be that would be great.

November 13, 2006 at 8:25 am
(15) Heather says:

I haven’t seen anything yet to indicate that this car seat is close to being on store shelves. If the baby is already here, I’d say they need to plan on buying other car seats for that child, since the Anecia seat was only supposed to work until 9 months or so. It likely won’t be available while that child still needs an infant seat.