1. Parenting

Dorel Juvenile Products, a major baby products manufacturer, recently announced the recall of popular rear-facing infant car seats sold under the Eddie Bauer, Safety 1st and Cosco brand names. The harness straps on these rear-facing infant car seats can loosen after the baby is buckled in, providing less protection in a crash. Dorel will mail a repair kit to affected customers who have registered their car seats.

Affected models are 22-300 JOS GB1B, 22-625 AFD GB1B, 22-625 EDG GB1B, 22-625 GLC GB1B, 22-625 MAC GB1B, 22-325 CMB GB1B, 22-325 DTA GB1B, 22-325 TST GB1B and 22-325 VIN GB1B.

Please note: This Eddie Bauer, Cosco and Safety 1st infant car seat recall is several years old now, so if you're looking for information on a current recall, take a look at the links at the bottom of this post.

A major car seat recall is a good reminder to all parents to register their car seats. The best time to register is immediately after purchasing the car seat, but if you've waited, it's not too late. Register now to be better prepared for any future recalls. When a car seat is recalled, the company can easily contact customers who own affected products and arrange for refunds or repair kits. In the recent case with Dorel, the parents who have registered their car seats will automatically receive a repair kit, probably faster than if they had to wait and contact the company. Registering your baby's car seat upon purchase ensures that you receive important recall information and can take the necessary actions to protect your child in the car even faster.

Comments
June 14, 2006 at 8:32 pm
(1) Rosemary Gonzales says:

where can i get a recall kit for the eddie bauer car seat that was recalled

November 21, 2006 at 9:46 pm
(2) kendra Walls says:

I have moved several times in the past two years,so my recall notice will not reach me. How could I get on the recall list and receive the car seat kit?

December 8, 2006 at 10:32 pm
(3) Mary says:

What is the contact number to get a kit. I have two seats and one was purchased I believe after the recall date. Wouldn’t the store by liable for that??

December 12, 2006 at 1:01 pm
(4) Dorothy says:

Does anyone know which eddie bauer car seat this is talking about? Model number, name, color? I am buying one and need to know. Thanks

December 19, 2006 at 10:17 am
(5) Linda Knoll says:

I just called regarding my Eddie Bauer/Cosco carseat & the model # was found on the side of the carseat. Mine was 22-625-EDG & it was manufactured on 02/01/04. We bought it as part of the Eddie Bauer Edgewood Travel System in 2004. I was told by the Dorel rep that they’d send me a free repair kit within 7-10 business days. Here’s the # I called: (800) 880-9435.

January 5, 2007 at 9:41 pm
(6) Jim P. says:

I found this link to get a new base that has been recalled. FYI – I registered our car seat(s) but have never received any information about the recall until my mother told me about it – otherwise I would have never known.

January 5, 2007 at 9:43 pm
(7) Jim P. says:
January 7, 2007 at 2:18 pm
(8) Audrey says:

I believe that if there is going to be a recall on a car seat then the hotline number should be open all day everyday. I also had registered my son’s car seat and have not recieved one piece of mail stating that anything was wrong. My grandmother had to tell me. Makes me feel that my child is safe!

January 16, 2007 at 12:28 am
(9) Erin says:

If I didn’t register my Safty 1st seat and I register it now will I still get the repair kit??

January 19, 2007 at 10:29 am
(10) Kara says:

I have a eddie bauer car seat! Hate it do not buy one Dorothy. Choose something different. I registered my car seat when I first bought it and requested the repair kit and never got it. Dont risk it just don’t buy one they look nice but not worth it.

January 19, 2007 at 12:28 pm
(11) sabrina says:

i just bought a eddie bauer carseat/stroller does anyone know which one of the eddie bauer carseat was recalled in yesterdays news?

February 10, 2007 at 8:16 pm
(12) Peggy Wilson says:

How do I register my car seat if I did not do that when purchased?

April 23, 2007 at 11:35 am
(13) Whitney says:

We are looking at the Eddie Bauer car seats does any one know if there is a recall on this model number #i23 657 1373…..

September 5, 2007 at 9:45 pm
(14) Kevin says:

What happens if you received the seat as a gift for your child? Can you still reg. it??

September 9, 2007 at 11:41 am
(15) jessica says:

I just registered for the Eddie Bauer Adventurer Travel System at Target. Why do some people hate it so much? I’m starting to get nervous because of some of the reviews I’ve read. I also have not been able to find safety ratings on it.

September 12, 2007 at 9:37 am
(16) sarah says:

OK does anyone know where to find out the makes and models of the Eddie Bauer car seat that has been recalled? Thanks

September 14, 2007 at 1:53 am
(17) Sylvia says:

So I never registered my carseat, how can I get the safety kit? What a scam! They sell an unsafe, expensive car seat, then make it hard to get the safety kit after a recall. I will never buy another baby product from Eddie Bauer.

September 14, 2007 at 1:29 pm
(18) Heather, CPST says:

This post is about an Eddie Bauer car seat recall from two years ago. If you need information on a 2007 Eddie Bauer/Cosco/Safety 1st car seat recall, call Dorel Juvenile Products at 800-219-0509. It’s helpful if you can have your car seat model number and manufacture date ready when you call. That info is on one of the labels on the car seat, usually on the side or bottom.

October 17, 2007 at 7:25 am
(19) Katrina Dubeau says:

I can’t believe i paid over $200 for a car seat for them to send me a do it yourself repair kit with a piece of tape in it, how is that any safer. I want a new car seat. I will send them my old one if i have to.

October 17, 2007 at 1:55 pm
(20) mindy says:

you do not get what you pay for because i paid good money for a car seat and it is falling apart and they want me to fix it after sitting on the phone with them for over 30 min. I will never buy anything with the name eddie bauer on it and I will advise the same to everyone that I know

November 17, 2007 at 3:21 pm
(21) Erin says:

The same thing with us, we knew NOTHING of the recall until I saw a car seat behind the counter like the one I bought at Walmart. I asked the counter person if anything was wrong with it THEN I was told they believed there was a recall on it?!?NO recall was sent to us regarding the Omega Alpha car seat even though I registered my product. These are CHILDREN who are going in these seats that they’re making and they are NOT assuring their safety for the sake of the dollar! NOT IMPRESSED!!!

May 18, 2008 at 11:26 am
(22) Glenn says:

does anyone know what strap is defective on a Safety 1st.22458C? really like to know, thanks.

October 9, 2008 at 7:33 pm
(23) Nicejob says:

Post about a recall but recall about what? No model number thats nice.

August 6, 2009 at 1:36 pm
(24) Dianne says:

What model of rear-facing infant car seat is it from Saftey 1st because I have pulled and tuged on my sons car seat like there is no tomorrow and nothing has happened not even the slightest budge from the harness.

December 22, 2009 at 3:11 am
(25) DR says:
December 22, 2009 at 9:17 am
(26) babyproducts says:

Please note – the recent infant car seat recall that involves the carrier handle that can loosen or detach is not the same as this one from this blog post. This one is several years old and involves harness webbing that can loosen after baby is buckled in.

February 23, 2010 at 3:24 pm
(27) lisa says:

is my model 22-625 EDG the same as the model 22-625 EDG GB1B? I just called the hotline and they said mine was not recalled but the website is saying that the GB1B is recalled, so if they are the same then mine would be recalled also?

February 23, 2010 at 4:05 pm
(28) babyproducts says:

Thanks for your comment, Lisa. If you’ve contacted the manufacturer with the model number and manufacture date, and they say it is not under recall, they are the ultimate authority on it. However, if you’re still unsure, call back and double check. The customer service reps are human and can make mistakes, so talking with a different rep may be helpful to you.