CPSC has issued another warning about those single-use detergent packets you may have in your laundry room or under your kitchen sink. The group issued another detergent pack warning in 2013 after an infant died when he ingested a laundry detergent packet.
The bright colors and liquid interiors of these detergent tabs can be very appealing to babies and toddlers. These items look a lot like candy, or even a liquid-filled teether. But the skins of the detergent packs are made to dissolve with just a small amount of water, so they're likely to come open quickly if a child tastes, bites or handles the packet with damp hands. Babies and toddlers are at risk of swallowing the toxic chemicals, and also from skin or eye injuries if they come in contact with it.
Most of us don't have the luxury of not doing laundry or dishes, so what's a parent to do? I have some suggestions for keeping your little one safe, as well as the scoop on how manufacturers are helping make these products less attractive and less accessible to children.
Lots of modern parents keep an eagle eye on kid-related recalls. After all, we want to know that the products we buy for our precious youngsters are safe. If you've been saving an older toy chest or antique hop chest for a future generation, though, you may have missed a huge danger to your child. Toy chests, storage chests, cedar trunks, hope chests, and other storage furniture are the subject of a recent warning from CPSC. Some of these chests and trunks may have been recalled in years past, and some may have been made in the early 1900s and stored for years before being handed down to kids or grandkids.
If you own a toy chest, hope chest, or any type of storage chest, you should take a look at my new article, "Antique Toy Chests May Pose Danger to Kids," and take steps to remove any hazards in your home. Enjoying a treasured family heirloom is fine, and can be safe, but you'll need to make sure the latches and lid supports meet current safety standards.
Well, nothing. At least not yet! But in 2015, you'll see some changes coming to the strollers sold in the U.S. That's because CPSC has just approved a new set of federal safety standards for strollers. These standards address many of the problems we've seen in recent years that resulted in stroller recalls. Remember the stroller hinge finger amputations? The parking brake failures? The potential entrapment? The broken wheels? The new standards cover all of these things, so your baby should be safer on the stroll than ever before.
About 98,000 Vera Bradley bear ring rattles and bunny stuffed toys are recalled because small pieces can detach, posing a choking hazard. Two incidents where a pom-pom detached have been reported, but no injuries have been reported.
The following models are included in the recall: Lola Bunny 007590013357145, Lillie Bell Bunny 0000630012803140, Tutti Frutti Bunny 0000630012803142, and Lola Bear Ring Rattle 007590013234135. The Vera Bradley brand name and model number are on a tag attached to the toy.
If you own one of these recalled toys, you should put it out of reach of children. Call Vera Bradley at 888-855-8372 for return and refund information.
About 135 wooden flipping acrobat toys from Minga Imports are recalled because they contain lead paint. Federal standards allow only certain amounts of lead in paint, because if a child chews on the product and ingests lead paint, the lead can harm the child. No injuries have been associated with this toy.
The 8.5-inch tall toys were sold in coyote, superhero, woodpecker and yellow bird models. If you own one of these toys, you should stop using it immediately. Contact Minga Imports at 855-738-5260 for refund or replacement.
Nearly 3,000 Bedz King bunk beds with side ladders are recalled because a corner posts sticks up too high to meet the federal standard. The tall corner post poses an entrapment hazard. No injuries have been reported.
The recalled bunk beds were sold via BunkBedKing.com from July 2011 to October 2013. They came in twin over twin, twin over full, and full over full models. You can find the name "Bedz King" and the model number on a label on the top headboard. Affected models are BK 150SL, BK 151SL, BK 950SL, BK 951SL and BK 975S.
Known customers will be contacted by email. If you do not receive an email from the manufacturer and you have one of these recalled bunk beds, you should call Bedz King at 855-649-9911 to receive a repair kit.
About 2.6 million children's bed canopies from IKEA have been recalled worldwide because they pose a strangulation hazard. An infant or young child can get the canopy wrapped around their neck. This recall includes more than 250,000 canopies sold in the U.S., and 7,000 sold in Canada.
Nine incidents of children becoming entangled in the bed canopies have been reported. In the U.S., a 7-month-old baby pulled the canopy fabric into her crib and wrapped it around her neck several times.
All of the recalled canopies were sold at IKEA stores and online for $10 to $30. BARNSLIG, FABLER, HIMMEL, KLAMMIG, LEGENDARISK, MINNEN and TISLA models are all included. These models were sold in many colors. Since affected bed canopies were sold in IKEA stores from August 1996 to March 2014, I urge you to click over to the CPSC recall website and look at the photos of recalled models. You may not remember the model name of a canopy you purchased 10 years ago, but a photo may look familiar.
If you own one of these canopies, you should stop using it immediately. Return the canopy to any IKEA store for a full refund.
About 174,000 My Sweet Love/My Sweet Baby dolls sold at Walmart stores are recalled because the circuit board in the doll's chest can overheat, posing a burn hazard. Twelve overheating incidents have been reported, including two reports of burns or blisters on the thumb.
These dolls were packaged with a medical kit. The electronics inside the doll cause the doll to chatter and the cheeks to turn red when the doll is "sick.' If you own one of these dolls, you should remove the batteries and return the doll to any Walmart store for a full refund.
Living room furniture isn't normally included in my list of baby products recalls, but this new recall definitely deserves an entry. More than 200 Rowe Fine Furniture Dalton ottomans with storage compartments are recalled because a small child can become entrapped in the ottoman, posing a suffocation risk. No injuries have been reported.
The recalled ottomans have a cushioned, hinged lid for the storage compartment. The model number F135-064 is on a tag stapled to the underside.
If you own one of these ottomans, visit rowefurniture.com and use the contact form to receive instructions on ordering a replacement lid. The replacement lid has a vent to provide air flow in the storage compartment.
More than 700 sets of cork block stacking toys from A Harvest Company are recalled because small pieces of the cork can come off, posing a choking hazard. No injuries have been reported.
The blocks came in a set of three, and each has black dots on the top. If you own these stacking blocks, you should stop using them. Visit AHarvestCompany.com to receive a refund.